The Aqueduct of Vanvitelli, also known as the Carolino Aqueduct, was built between 1753 and 1762 to supply water to Caserta Palace and its many fish ponds and fountains. The architect and engineer behind this World Heritage Site was Luigi Vanvitelli of Napoli. The water source for the aqueduct begins from a spring near Bucciano in the province of Benevento. The entire watercourse is 38km with most of it being underground. It took the water four hours to reach the palace fountains. The 1,736ft (529m) aqueduct spans the Valley of Maddaloni and is made of three rows of arches. At its highest, it stands 183ft (55m) tall. It is now a World Heritage site.